Last night, I spent some time doing research on how to work with exercism.io so that I could create a little video tutorial. From my home computer, I saved the individual webpages into evernote and than made sure that my laptop did a sync of the pages before I left the house.
I think this will work well going forward for my research materials, but1 it doesn't help me when I come up with new outlines and mind maps on my phone.
I have mixed feelings about this problem. On one hand, I have a point of friction. On the other, I'm moving! I'm doing something and this will ultimately be something that I can work on as part of this whole challenge.
I'm the first one to run into issues with my own work most times. The perfectionist in me has stopped a lot of cool stuff. ↩
This time, I set out to see how quickly I could make a video of a simple animation. I managed to put it together in half an hour, but in the rush I can see a horrible delay in the middle of it. I feel it is because I don't really know the controls of the time line and that I was rushing to create something more than a blog post about the challenge that I'm doing.
Perhaps I'm fortunate in the fact that I only have half of my self allotted time to create something today. I got caught up being productive at my job1 and the place that I usually set up for this kind of work had the desk and chairs removed.
In fact, that got me thinking of whether I should count things that I make for work as part of my challenge. I think I'll say no at this point because I want to be able to show my work to the outside world and I'd like to keep my job2.
I like to make sure that there aren't any loose ends that need to be taken care of. ↩
The place that I work at is very touchy with information getting in and out. Even though I don't feel that my site has a lot (if any) traffic. Let's just keep things simple. ↩
I had trouble coming up with something to make today. I usually set up a time to do something right after work, but found myself staring at my phone for 15 minutes thinking about how I couldn't think of anything1.
I spent so time dabbling with CrazyTalk Animator, but didn't want to spend the time customizing a character today. I noticed that there were some properties that I couldn't change using the version that I have on my laptop2.
So, I think what I will do other than make this post is to commit myself to crafting a video on how to do certain exercises using swift. It would mark off a couple of things that I've been wanting to produce and allow me to have a road map going forward. Not just sitting down and thinking "what am I going to make today".
Maybe I shouldn't have been playing Crossy Road. ↩
I don't want to fork out more money just to change the skin color of my characters. ↩
Today, I thought I'd document something simple like how I created an alias to render the blog and then port it to my website. I'm writing it out in hopes that something will pop up and say "There is an easier way of doing it!"
The first thing I do for most posts is I open up Byword to write the words that you are seeing before you. If it's something a little more complicated, I might start off in MindNode1 and export to Markdown.
I use a TextExpander snippet to set the header and then just start writing and save the file in dropbox.
The part that I feel needs improvement is finishing the draft. I have a virtual environment set up for pelican that has all the templates and plugins that I've been tweaking to make the site look and behave in the way that I want. This means that any extra syntax or themes don't show up unless I process the markdown2.
To solve this, I've set up a hazel rule3 to copy over all the files.
After that, I can run a local server to see what the post looks like after being processed.
Which leads us to the thing that I created. An alias in my environment to rsync the finished website and push it to github to host.
alias pub="pelican; rsync -r /Users/mandaris/Projects/quotidian/output/* ~/Projects/mandaris.github.com"
Well, that was a longer explanation that I was thinking it would be.
I do have iThoughts as well, but MindNode is better looking. ↩
Although, I do use Marked.app to look at the post as I'm writing it. I haven't commited myself to making the my theme and processors work in the appplication. ↩
To be honest, this hasn't been working like I want it to. I have to manually run the rule. I'll make it a OmniFocus project to get the rules to work properly. I tried using rsync, but got some weird errors when I attempted to put the configuration into github. ↩
I think this is it. This is what the Apple App Store should look and feel like going forward. It's easy to install with all the possible apps just living in a folder until you double click to install.
Honestly, I don't know how to put it into words because it was so, so simple and it had all the little applications that I wanted but couldn't bring myself to buy because of the price[^budge].
The super sad part about this is that I've taken on a new job where I have to use Windows all day. When I get home, it's family time. Coupled with that is this would be another subscription that I have to keep track of.
For the developers, I hope this works out that they get the money they deserve from all of those people who are sitting on the side lines.
How am I going to tell my wife that I spent $45 on a text editor when I've got to worry about rent almost every month. ↩